Home
>
News
>
Bangladesh T20 franchise demands action if Gayle pulls out of BPL
Gayle leaves T20 leagues hanging

Bangladesh T20 franchise demands action if Gayle pulls out of BPL

Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) team Chattogram Challengers have demanded recourse against West Indies superstar Chris Gayle if he pulls out of the tournament—which is going to commence in two weeks time.

The move came after Gayle's abrupt exit from the ongoing Mzansi Super League (MSL) owing to what he claimed was 'lack of respect' that he gets in T20 leagues. The BPL franchise has proactively asked the management to put a contingency plan in place in case he backs out of the forthcoming competition.

Gayle was picked in the draft by Challengers for the seventh edition of the tournament that will be underway on December 11.

One of the best - if not the best - power hitter left MSL on Monday this week and left his side Jozi Stars in shambles who are reeling at the bottom of the table.

Gayle, on the other hand, is astonished to see his name in the BPL team and said he had no idea that he was part of the squad and stated he made his plans way earlier regarding taking a break from cricket. He also made it clear that he won't feature in this year's Big Bash League (BBL) in Australia. 

"I am not going to the Big Bash (Australia's T20 league). I'm not sure what cricket will come up, I don't even know how my name reached the BPL, but I have been drafted in a team and I don't even know how that happened," Gayle said.

"I'm going to recharge my batteries and think ahead in life, and try and plan it better and keep the people who are more real around you."  

Also Read: Gayle takes break from cricket to reflect on international future

Jalal Yunus, Challengers director, told the other version of the story as he claims talks had been held with Gayle's agent regarding his availability and only after his nod of approval he was picked in the side.

"His agent confirmed Chris was aware about it," Yunus remarked.

"Now if he does not come, we will seek a player outside the draft. But I feel (Bangladesh Cricket Board) BCB should take action in such cases to keep discipline."

Yunus added there hasn't been any update from the destructive basher of the ball after he revealed his plans in a press conference before departing from South Africa.

BCB chief Nizamuddin Chowdhury confirmed that the board checked the drafting process and found no anomaly in his addition.

"We maintain all the standard procedures when any national cricketer's name came for the players' draft," Nizamuddin said.

"Either a player or his agent can show his interest and put the name in the list.

"I have checked the process and everything was done according to a standard process."

Gayle has been a regular feature in BPL over the years and remains the highest run-getter among all overseas players with a whooping 1,338 runs to his name. Moreover, he has bludgeoned the most number of maximums (120) and the next batter in the list - Tamim Iqbal - has got half the number.

RELATED ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE